We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it
Plumber Wimbledon, Unit 53, 143 Kingston Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 1LJ

Wimbledon Windmill Museum

Wimbledon Windmill Museum

Located within the grounds of Wimbledon Common, The Wimbledon Windmill Museum offers exhibits involving windmills. It depicts the story of windmills from their early origins up to the present day by using models, examples of machinery and tools of the trade.

Accordingly, the museum also features scouting memorabilia, being a prominent location in the history of the scout movement. Robert Baden-Powell wrote part of his work Scouting for Boys while staying at The Windmill.
The museum is run entirely by volunteers. Therefore opening times are limited to weekends only. So, the normal opening times are Saturday 2PM – 5 PM and Sundays 11AM-5PM. Also the museum will be open in 2017 from Saturday 25th March until Sunday 29th October. So, for 2017 the Bicentenary Year there will be no admission charges.

Wimbledon Windmill was built in 1817 by Charles March. He was a Roehampton carpenter. After an initial application in 1799 by a John Watney was rejected on the grounds that he did not submit plans when requested. So, the mill ceased operation in 1864 when Earl Spencer, the local Lord of the Manor decided to enclose the common for his own use and evicted the miller. He was the person who promptly removed all his machinery to prevent his mill being used in direct competition to his other mills in Kingston. Earl Spencer was strongly opposed. Then in 1871, local residents successfully saw that the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act was passed and handed the care of the commons to elected and appointed conservators.

Related Historical Incidents

During World War II, when army camps were based on the common, the mill was camouflaged with green. It is to reduce its visibility to German bombers. But was repainted at the end of the war. More recently, a sail fell off in August 2015 damaging the base. However in November 2016, after a complete renovation, the museum opened again. The museum is supported by volunteers and open on weekends only from late March until the end of October.

This blog post was published by Plumbing Company Wimbledon.

Recent Posts

The New Wimbledon Theatre

The New Wimbledon Theatre In fact, the New Wimbledon Theatre stands prominently on Wimbledon's…

Read More >
Wimbledon Windmill Museum

Wimbledon Windmill Museum Located within the grounds of Wimbledon Common, The Wimbledon…

Read More >
The Information about Wimbledon Common

Wimbledon Common In fact, Wimbledon Common is a public open area, comprising…

Read More >
London Scottish Golf Club

London Scottish Golf Club Located on the grounds of Wimbledon Common near…

Read More >
Wimbledon Train Station

Wimbledon Train Station Wimbledon Train Station, Underground and Tramlink Station , centrally…

Read More >
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club Wimbledon

All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club Wimbledon Perhaps no other venue has promoted…

Read More >
The Fox and Dog Pub Hotel

The Fox and Dog Pub Hotel Situated right in the heart of Wimbledon Village,…

Read More >
Wimbledon Town Centre

Wimbledon Town Centre In fact, the Wimbledon town centre and shopping area traces its…

Read More >
Wimbledon Park Golf Club

Wimbledon Park Golf Club In fact, Wimbledon Park Golf Club is an…

Read More >
The Polka Theatre Wimbledon

The Polka Theatre Wimbledon Located on Wimbledon's Broadway, The Polka Theatre Wimbledon…

Read More >